The presentation, Rebuilding the Workplace: Legal Tools for Post-Pandemic Re-Entry, was part of a 3 day virtual event presented by the Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of Canada. Called the HR Virtual Forum Series - Empowering Your People in a Post-Pandemic Workplace, the presentation was originally presented live on May 27, 2020.
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the workplace in unpredictable and unprecedented ways. As scores of individuals and businesses reel from the impact of lockdowns, mandatory closures, and unfamiliar safety standards, hastily implemented support measures by the provincial and federal governments have added to confusion and kept everyone off balance. Employees afraid for their health and safety are anxious about whether they have to work or can stay home and collect government cheques. Employers in turn are having trouble assembling enough of a workforce to keep their businesses running.
Speaker Howard Levitt, Canada’s top and most recognized employment lawyer, brings his legal expertise to the front lines of the pandemic, answering questions from Canadians on the radio, television and in newspapers across the country as he faces down the very same challenges in his own law practice.
This talk will focus on preparing employers across a variety of industries for the legal challenges they will face as they plan for post-pandemic re-entry, including:
- Avoiding constructive or wrongful dismissal lawsuits;
- Navigating employee privacy considerations;
- Managing human rights obligations;
- Understanding and implementing occupational health and safety requirements;
- Appropriate hiring procedures;
- Strategies for unionized workplaces;
- Returning employees from layoff; and
- Dealing with employees who refuse to return.
Post event answers to Howard Levitt's Q&A